Sunday, June 30, 2013

2nd Edition


I'd say everything's been covered regarding the OSR and editions of Dungeons and Dragons that run from the "White Box" up until AD&D. There's not a ton of stuff on 2nd edition, and since that's the edition I spent a lot of time with, I thought I'd start up some thoughts on the subject.

MTV played music videos instead of fake reality road trip shows, we watched Thundercats and Transformers and Star Wars. Our magic wasn't from a Dying Earth, but from a galaxy far, far away, or a land inhabited by Nelwyns. And we inherited D&D from some guys in Lake Geneva, who packaged their strange game with the funny dice, and sold at the corner hobby store, or the Sears catalog.


We didn't have a clue how the game was 'supposed' to be played. Sure, there were the books listed in Appendix N, and the examples of play, but we tossed the rules that didn't make sense at the time, and stuck our own "Appendix N" in there, of battle cats and skesis and luck dragons. I plan to post much more on the subject as I put my thougths together while creating my own 2nd edition style campaign setting, tentativley titled "Palace of the Sun and Moon".

Note that a lot of my 2nd edition inspiration comes from before it was published, as the media and games that influenced my tastes and found their way into my D&D campains predates 2nd edition by roughly a decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment